Select your experience.......
Chemung Volunteer Fire Company
Chemung Fire District
The difference between the Fire District and Fire Company...
The Town of Chemung boasts the Fire District of Chemung. This is the legal, governmental arm of fire protection in the Town of Chemung. The Chemung Fire District is a political subdivision of the state of New York and are like any other municipality with the following major authorities.
- The ability to levy taxes to residents
- Use of Eminent Domain, as prescribed by law
- To sue and be sued
- Incur debt on behalf of the Fire District
- Make purchases and hold equipment
- Save funds for future need
- Owns all equipment in the building, but not the building
- Is governed by 5 publicly elected officials called Commissioners in a general election in December. Commissioners are elected to Five Year Terms
- Is not considered a corporation and cannot be a tax exempt entity
- May NOT fundraise on behalf of the fire company
The Town of Chemung Volunteer Fire Company is the non-profit arm of the fire protection services in the Town of Chemung.
- May conduct fundraisers on behalf of the members for the benefit of the Chemung Community and Fire Company
- Must be incorporated and hold current 501c3 standing
- Owns the physical building located at 679 Main street and is responsible for all maintenance
- May not purchase equipment